Timeline of our History
1945 The Channing Club, a Unitarian discussion group, is founded by Dr. Willis Merriam, a geography professor at Washington State University.
1949 The Pullman Unitarian Fellowship is organized with Dr. Merriam as Chairman. The Moscow Fellowship, an adult discussion group, is organized with John Brockelbank, a University of Idaho law school professor, as President.
1951 A joint meeting of the Moscow and Pullman groups draws 55 people.
1953 Religious Education begins in Pullman. The Moscow and Pullman groups begin to meet jointly in Pullman.
1956 The Moscow-Pullman Unitarian Fellowship is legally incorporated. The group purchases St. James Episcopal Church in Pullman.
1960 A budget of $6000 is supported by 40 families. Sunday attendance over the next few years ranges from 20 to 100.
1971 The Church Building is sold due to small attendance and maintenance problems.
1970s Small groups meet in private homes and at the Campus Christian Center at the University of Idaho. As attendance rises, the Fellowship begins to meet at Koinonia House on the Washington State University campus.
1978 The Rev. Harold Rosen is called as part-time minister.
1985 The Fellowship purchases the old Swedish Lutheran Church in Moscow. The congregation renovates the church and dedicates it on October 17th. The fellowship officially changes its name to the Unitarian Church of the Palouse.
1987 Harold Rosen resigns.
1988 The Rev. Art Curtis is called as interim minister for one year. The “Yellow House” is purchased to be used for Religious Education and meetings. The Rev. Marc Estrin is ordained and installed by the congregation.
1989 Marc Estrin departs in the spring. The congregation functions with lay ministry.
1990 The church’s mortgage is burned and the $30,000 loan from the Unitarian Universalist Association is paid off. The Rev. Harold Beu is called as interim minister for two years.
1992 The Rev. Lynn Ungar is called as minister and is ordained and installed on November 8th.
1993 On April 18th, the congregation votes to add “Universalist” to the name of the church, and declares itself a “Hate free Zone” in the face of Idaho’s anti-gay initiatives. In the fall, the church renovates the kitchen.
1996 The “Sound Money” campaign raises funds for a new piano, assistive listening devices, and acoustic modifications to the basement. The congregation renovates the Yellow House to provide more space for religious Education. In June, the Rev. Lynn Ungar resigns. The Congregation elects to be lay-led for one year. Krista Kramer is hired as Administrative Coordinator for the interim.
1997 The Rev. Joan Montagnes is called as minister in May and installed on November 16th. The congregation receives a $7000 grant from the Pacific Northwest District Chalice Lighter’s program. The church votes to support the Jewish Community of the Palouse during an uprising of neo-Nazi activity.
1998 The congregation sponsors the “Traveling Viet Nam Memorial Wall-The Wall that Heals” on its visit to Moscow.
1999/2000 The Congregation celebrates its fiftieth anniversary with special events, a congregational photo and a special Service with all seven past UUCP ministers speaking.
2005 Rev. Joan Montagnes resigns; Rev. Patti Pomerantz is called as Interim MInister for one year.
2006 Rev. Kayle Rice is called as Minister.
2008/2009 The UUCP hosts its first Intern Minister, Tracy Springberry.
2010 Rev. Kayle Rice resigns; the Congregation calls Rev. Dr. Marlene Walker to serve for two years as Accredited Interim Minister.
2011/2012 The main UUCP building is repainted (upstairs) and remodeled (downstairs).