Month of Sundays Committee
- To share our resources in order to strengthen our community.
- To support existing community-based charitable operations who are serving people in need.
Requirements for Selection of Month of Sundays Recipients
- Organization must have non-profit status
- Organization must serve all people who qualify for their service without discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.
- Organization must serve UUCP’s local communities, which are defined as Latah and Whitman counties. (They may also serve beyond these areas, but these communities are our focus.)
Priorities for Selection
- Organizations that serve immediate human needs such as food, shelter, and basic medical and mental health care
- Local organizations that are small, have few if any paid staff, and have less ability to do fundraising. These organizations may be unaffiliated (not part of a state or national group)
- Organizations that improve access to education, including early childhood education (eg. Head Start) and adult education (eg. ESL and GED preparation)
- Organizations that serve marginalized and vulnerable people
The Month of Sundays committee also selects recipients of special offerings that occur on the fifth Sunday in months that have five Sundays. These can be broader in scope than the general recipients guidelines. The committee has no budget line.
General Committee Expectations
It is the expectation of the UUCP congregation and Board of Directors that all committees will transparently conduct their business within the letter and spirit of the UUCP vision, mission, and bylaws. Committees are required to do the following:
- Once per year, provide a short written report to the Board summarizing the committee’s activities during the previous year and plans for the year ahead. This report can be included as part of a budget request but is required whether a committee requests funding from the Board or not. This report must include the name and contact information of the Committee’s current chair.
- Stay within their allotted budget (if applicable).
- Retain meeting minutes or some other record of committee decisions and activities.
- Notify the Board whenever the committee chair changes.