The Caring Committee arranges for help if someone in the UUCP congregation is ill, in crisis or experiencing life transitions. Committee members hear from people in need directly, from members of the congregation or from the minister.
The Committee organizes help through SignUp Genius, Meal Trains or by calling members of the congregation who have indicated that they can help with specific tasks. The Committee follows up by sending cards, visiting, making phone calls, or sending emails to see if additional help is needed. It also plans receptions following UUCP memorial services.
Responsibilities and Scope
The Committee can offer help in the following areas:
- Home visits
- Child care
- Truck hauling/moving help
- Pet care
- Yard work
- Farm care
- House cleaning
The Committee maintains a list of congregation members who have indicated their willingness to provide various services when needed. They also have a visitor team that meets regularly with people who are homebound temporarily or long term. The visitor team occasionally receives additional training on tips for most effectively serving the homebound population.
The Committee generally meets once a month for 1 1/2 -2 hours and stays in contact by email in between if needed.
General Committee Expectations
It is the expectation of the UUCP congregation and Board of Directors that all committees will transparently conduct their business within the letter and spirit of the UUCP vision, mission, and bylaws. Committees are required to do the following:
- Once per year, provide a short written report to the Board summarizing the committee’s activities during the previous year and plans for the year ahead. This report can be included as part of a budget request but is required whether a committee requests funding from the Board or not. This report must include the name and contact information of the Committee’s current chair.
- Stay within their allotted budget (if applicable).
- Retain meeting minutes or some other record of committee decisions and activities.
- Notify the Board whenever the committee chair changes.